Register Online Today!
|CPA Members - Early-bird (register 14 days prior to seminar date)
$399.00 plus taxes
|CPA Members - Regular:
$449.00 plus taxes
|Non-member - Early-bird (register 14 days prior to seminar date)
$499.00 plus taxes
|Non-member - Regular:
$549.00 plus taxes
Payroll Essentials for Accounting & HR Professionals
For certified members, this seminar counts toward 7.5 hours of continuing professional education. Click here to find a date and location in your area.
FACT: 70% OF PAYROLL PROFESSIONALS REPORT THROUGH ACCOUNTING AND 30% THROUGH HR
Source: CPA Skills & Competencies Research Study
This seminar is designed for accounting and human resource professionals who have a functional responsibility to oversee the payroll function but are not actually processing a payroll. It provides an introduction and overview perspective of the payroll function. Participants will learn about processing and reporting requirements, and payroll practitioners' responsibilities with regard to government statutory withholding and remittance.
The curriculum covers:
- Processing a payroll
- Reviews the information necessary for payroll, including determining the employee-employer relationship, calculating/producing a pay, withholding statutory deductions, and correcting a payroll error.
- Employment/Labour Standards
- Provides an overview of the legal requirements for Employment/Labour Standards and how they relate to payroll.
- Government reporting
- Discusses government remittances, including those made the Canada Revenue Agency, Revenu Québec, and provincial ministries and bodies. Also touches on the Record of Employment (ROE), workers' compensation and other required reporting.
- Taxable earnings
- Covers how to treat various earnings such as bonuses, vacation pay, commissions and more.
- Overview of common taxable benefits and other allowances
- Discusses items such as tuition, parking, professional fees, car, meals, gifts and awards, and more.
- Termination of employment
- Examines the termination requirements as they relate to payroll, including notice, ROE, group termination, salary continuance and retiring allowances.