Minimize termination liability and cost while complying with legislation. This seminar equips you with the tools you need to successfully administer, supervise and oversee a termination of employment – including employment/labour standards, human resources issues, types of payments, retiring allowances and the Record of Employment.
Take-homes include exercises, a terminations calculator, and terminations checklist
For many payroll professionals, the terminations process can be complex. The CPAs Terminations seminar provides you with the tools you need to accurately and confidently administer, supervise and oversee the termination of the employment process. It includes a comprehensive overview of recommended steps, processes and procedures to minimize termination liability and costs as well as legislative requirements for payments upon termination.
This one-day seminar provides you with the tools you need to successfully administer, supervise and oversee a termination of employment.
Register early and save - Early bird rates apply until two weeks prior to the seminar.
The curriculum covers:
- Overview of current federal and provincial standards related to terminations
- Reducing your organization's liability and costs related to employment terminations by meeting the standards
Human Resources Issues
- Employee-initiated vs. employer-initiated terminations
- How to spot constructive dismissal, just cause
- What is considered reasonable notice under common law?
- Why the need for termination policies?
- Avoiding poor termination techniques
- Understanding the impact of a termination on colleagues
- Dealing with progressive discipline
- Sample termination checklist and recent case law examples
Payments on Termination
- Lieu of notice
- Vacation pay
- Year end reporting
- Pension and group benefits issues
- Employment relationship
- Salary continuance versus retiring allowance
- Request for ruling
- Tax withholdings and transfers
- When to issue
- How to's of completion
- How to avoid common errors
- ROE Web
Your registration includes: seminar presentation, course reference manual and handouts, exercises with answers, continental breakfast, lunch and refreshments for all breaks.
Dress code is business casual. Please dress in layers to accommodate temperature fluctuations.
CANCELLATIONS OR SEMINAR TRANSFER: Requests must be received in writing at least five (5) business days prior to the seminar date. Please note a cancellation fee or transfer fee in the amount of $50 plus applicable taxes per day/per registrant for all sessions cancelled or transferred will apply. Cancellation or transfer requests received less than 5 business days prior to the seminar date are not eligible for transfer or refund.
FOR ANY QUESTIONS or concerns regarding this registration, please contact member services at email@example.com