PCP Work Experience Requirements
Individuals who wish to obtain the Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation, must have at least one (1) year of work experience.
- Students completing courses on a part time and online basis must obtain the work experience requirement within five (5) years before and/or after the start date of their first Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) course.
- Students completing the PCP courses as part of a full time private career college must obtain the work experience requirement within six (6) years before and/or after the start date of their first Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) course.
- Students completing the PCP courses as part of a full time public college academic program must obtain the work experience requirement within seven (7) years before and/or after the start date of their first Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) course.
The weighted payroll work experience must be equivalent to one year of experience paying employees accurately and on time, in compliance with legislative requirements, contributing to the full annual payroll cycle.
Students will be eligible to submit the PCP Work Experience Requirement Application (PCP-WERA) after completing the PCP courses including transferring the Introduction to Accounting course credit into their National Payroll Institute files.
What will be required in the PCP Work Experience Application?
You will be required to indicate the percentage of time you spend performing payroll activities in each of the eight categories below as well as the responsibilities you have performed in each category:
- Payroll Administration (such as input of hours and earnings or time and attendance)
- Payroll Information preparation and calculation (such as deductions or taxable benefits)
- Payroll Remittances (such as federal & provincial, third-party or Workers Compensation)
- Payroll Accounting (such as journal entries or account reconciliations)
- Communication (such as payroll reporting or responding to stakeholders' inquiries)
- Year-end (such as federal and provincial reporting, filing and reconciliations)
- Terminations (such as completing Records of Employment or calculating final payments)
- Payroll Management (such as budgeting, planning or negotiating contracts)
- Your information will need to be verified by a current or former manager
Here are samples of the PCP Work Experience Requirement Application and the guide. This is for example use only and eligible PCP candidates will be sent access to the application once they qualify.
To review a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), please click here